Style Fix

Y'all get this: my client #girlabouttown has a sectional sleeper sofa w/a cool slide out bed.

The right side slides out like this:

The right side slides out like this:

She also has a deliciously dense flokati rug. The pair, though stunning together, weren't compatible in the LEAST. Why? Every time you tried sliding the sofa bed out, the rug was being pulled along with it & getting bunched up on itself underneath the bed. Sad panda

We tried styling the rug by placing the sofa on top of it so the back edge of rug was anchored underneath the back legs of sofa. In theory, the sofa weight would secure the rug in place. This kinda worked, but then that ate up about 18"-20" of rug b/c those back sofa legs were far baaaack, as illustrated in the first pic above. More sad pandas

Time for a Style Fix.

WTH is that? Well, it's the cra cra solutions that I come to when faced w/weird a$$ problems in my interiors projects. It's almost always custom and almost always involves some sort of insanely detailed, next level, time consuming, backbreaking WERK. Seriously. If y'all read this blog w/any regularity you've def come across these style fixes before. And if it's not me thinking up these fixes, it's someone working with me. This sliding sofa bed rug situ is no exception. And shout out to Chris White who was working w/me on this one. He's pure gold.

Time to sew. Yep. Y'all read that right. Took a piece of canvas yardage (abt 3 yards) and commenced sewing (on my MACHINE) that canvas to the outside edge of the flokati rug. And there wasn't ANYTHING easy about that shiot. TRUST. Here's what that looked like:

 

Y'all can see the seam isn't necessarily TIGHT but we got it to work. 

Y'all can see the seam isn't necessarily TIGHT but we got it to work. 

Of note is that the flokati had this soft, pliable 'back' to it, which is why this fix was even possible. Rugs that have a substantial binding or are backed w/rubber or some other dense material wouldn't have even be an option to sew on a machine. And even w/this soft pliable backing, this sewing still took two people, a long-a$$ table w/bench and A LOT of S L O W patience to accomplish. We had to roll up the excess rug & then utilizing the length of table & bench below it to hold this rolled excess, we carefully pinned the canvas to the edge of rug. Then one person stood and managed the roll (helped guide it, held down flokati fibers, etc) while the other sat & sewed at machine. It was all very haphazard & just ludicrous, and HAWT as all hell, but we got it sewn. And y'all, the shiot WERKS. It's AMAAAZE! 

Here the canvas is now completely sewn to the edge of rug and we 'brushed' the rug over seam...and place it in living room...

Here the canvas is now completely sewn to the edge of rug and we 'brushed' the rug over seam...and place it in living room...

Above & below y'all can see now that the canvas & rug are one whole piece that the sofa will sit atop. And the weight of the sofa will keep the canvas firmly in place on the floor. Since the rug is sewn to canvas it won't go anywhere when the pull out bed is slid out. This fix also allows for more of the 'licious flokati to be further out into the room fulfilling it's life's destiny, which was to be an area rug-- not shoved & balled up under a sofa. Win win!

Prepare to witness this hawt fix REVEAL:

oh my...

YASSSSSSSS!!!

Total style fix success folks! Sofa bed is completely slid out, in position & flokati hasn't moved a damn inch. HOLLA! Y'all can barely see the canvas at the back/behind the sofa in pic above. So, I have no clue if this post will help anyone who's dealing w/a similar situ-- at the very least it gives some insight into the INSANE-NESS that goes on when I do interiors-- but I hope so!!!